Had a great day here today...but I am wiped out and have to go to bed...more to come.
(Updating this on 9/4/23 from memory)
Williamsport and the Little League World Series day was maybe the baseball highlight of the trip.
We left from our hotel in Mercer PA at 9am (after the PNC Park game - Pirates 11 Cardinals 1 !!). The trip to Williamsport was about 3 hours...I don't know what baseball DVD we watched on the way. Also one rest stop...a comfortable ride going across PA...scenic mountains.
BTW it was very hot and most of the LLWS is not in the shade. When we go there and found a place to park the bus, we walked up an incline to the venue.No tickets needed as the LLWS is free!!! The venue consists of two stadiums up on a hill. There is a green in front with a planted version in the hedges of the words "Little League WS" LINK. I this area, Richard and I had a catch - so glad that I bought my glove.
This wa filmed by a kid (20ish) named 'Nate' (I think) who came over and asked if he could catch with us. I said yes if he would film me & Richard having a catch. LINK
Then we went to watch the two games of the day:
1) The international game - Tajuana v Venezuela...a good tight game...Tajuana won 3-1.We were able to sit in the shade. I broke away to get the only veggie option being served - a local Macaroni Salad - it was yummy and only $5.As this game was nearing the end we made our way to the other game
2) The US game - Tennessee v Nevada
(Richard found me a seat in the shade so I did 2 innings in the sun and 5 in the shade)
Well even though Stella didn't play the field, she got a big hit late in the game and scored the winning run as Tennessee won 2-1.
I sat next to a LL coach and his two kids. There were various rules/angles that I didn't kno. For instance they do a pitcher's pitch count - displayed on the scoreboard...and if a pitcher goes over 50 pitches, they can't pitch for 3 days...70 pitches/5 days. LINK
Also there were a few appeals that would never happen in normal baseball, for instance on a bunt attempt, did the batter offer on the bunt / was it a strike...they appealed that! There were groups of team supporters chanting throughout the game for both teams. A great atmosphere of baseball at it's roots...kids playing baseball....pure baseball although there is a lot of hokey commercialization of the kids now that they are on ESPN. Anyway fun!!
And in the outfield, there is a big hill that people slide down using sheets of cardboard as 'sleds'.
So...a extremely fun memorable tour day!!
Here is a nice overview of the complex LINK
That's me

No comments:
Post a Comment