Friday, August 18, 2023

Day 2 8/18 - PreTour - FH solamente - Royals @ Cubs

 Last night I went to the Q bar and grill...no choice - nothing around my hotel.
I was perfect...attached to a Quality Inn...pretty empty but sports on many screens above the bar.
I said perfect-except  for horrible music.
Also there were slot machines - I did not try my luck.
I talked to a nice guy Tyler who had purchased a 'bucket of beers' - all Busch Lite.
I was a freight train manager...a lot of freight trains near the airport...talked about how covid affected his job/many layoffs etc. He live in Iowa has 3 daughter twins in High school-they run track...he is only 33.
Nice conversation...maybe I'll see him tonight as I will probably be going there again with no other options.
Got veggie burger and fries to go-seemed delicious but I was starving
Bad night in bed - matress is soft and my back pain was back...see how it goes today.

Today I am on my own - tour registration is tomorrow morning.
I am going to Cubs-Royals game at Wrigley Field. I had bought the tix yesterday when I was in good shape...would probably not have gone today with my back agonies but gotta keep moving...a lot ahead of me.

Went to hotel breakfast-was OK-I realized it is BroJoe's 31st Birthday...so I snooped around for a picture to post...came up with this LINK...HBDJJH!!!

Ok I'll come back to this tonight...

Back after Game - it was fantastic...took the hotel shuttle to the airpost and got the BlueLine train to the Addison stop...followed some cubs fans off the train and got on the #152 Bus that took us down Addison ave straight t the park.

Walked around Wrigley (I was Early) bought a longsleeve wrigley park shirt...then went to McDonalds for food and coffee...then a CVS next to Wrigley (pleasant surprise) and got deodorant mouthwash suntan spray muscle lotion for back and a rain poncho (why not) 

BORING CHECK/VIOLATION SORRY

OK in the park - Gotta a great aisle seat - never moved once I sat down - no beers.
A terrific old Cubs fan sat next to me had a great time talking to him - I wore my Montreal Expos hat because I didn't want to wear a Cards Hat (Cubs fans hate the Cardinals) and the Expos hat generated a few comments and chit-chat. My seat partner was a sports photographer in a younger life in Montreal...then later a couple sat next to us and they were from Canada.
So kept score...a tight game - it was 4-3 Royals when I left after the 6th inning and that was the final...reverse trip back to Hotel...then get this - they have a pool and functioning whirlpool!!! So I did a swim (forgot my goggles) and sat it the whirlpool - heaven!!

My back is cranky but very happy I was able to enjoy the great time. When I stand it is fine...tonight I expect the bed to hurt again like last night...OK on to the Q Bar/Grill...

Oh two things I forgot to pack - My Glaucoma eydrops and swim goggles.



No comments:

Post a Comment