Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Day 5 July 7 Baltimore Orioles @ Oakland A's

 This was a good day - the last season for the A's in Oakland. And it was a giveawy - RollieFingers Bobblehead doll (which I brought to Lily on the next day - she put it in her "kitchen"...probably gone now.)

First the morning mess - I missed the shuttle to the airport at 5:30am...our Host Steve banged on my door...told me he'd wait for me in the lobby. Got the shuttle with him and his daughter Sydney...made it on time...Seattle airport under construction was in terrible shape/lines for TSA etc

We went straight to the game...had time to kill...Steve had a former minor leaguer and scout talk to us on the bus about his experiences with the Phillies...passed around his world series ring...a painful uncomfortable speech.

Then we went to wait in line. I waited with an old A's fan around my age and we talked about the situation in Oakland. The owner didn't try hard to keep them in Oakland and they are moving to Las Vegas...but they need to wait for the  new stadium to be built. meanwhile they will be playing in Sacramento at a minor league park...it's a mess - here's a story  LINK

When they opened the gates I got my RollieFinger BobbleHead. Then went to the room where Rollie and Dennis Eckersly were signing autographs. I waited in this long line for 40ish minutes then they said sorry folks no more autographs. Later we saw then on the field as they threw out the first pitch. Two of the greats.

Our seats as usual were very good...in the shade on another hot day...in left field.

The night before, the lowly A's surprised the league leading (almost) Orioles beating them 19 - 8!!!
So I expected the Orioles to come out and bomb the A's in this game. Oriole Heston Kjerstad hit a 3-run homer. The A's kept it close but lost 6-3.

I sat next to Aussie David who had a Aussie accent with mumbles so I never completely understood what he was saying. He was there for the event-didn't know baseball.

The stadium is old, the most 'beat up' stadium on our tour. But it has history. It was a good place to watch a game...sad that it's closing.

I bought an "Oakland Athletics" T-Shirt to remember the stadium/visit

Bye Oakland!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment